Stem enables independent artists to build their businesses. Our tools empower indie musicians and their teams to distribute music, collect royalties from streaming platforms, pay their collaborators, and take out advances on their future earnings.
As Stem’s Head of Artist & Label Relations, you will be the face of Stem within the Pop genre, driving new business to grow Stem’s roster and profile. You will define and implement development strategies that resonate with the genres and communities you target. You will generate new business by evangelizing Stem, courting & signing established artists & labels and developing meaningful relationships with diverse thought leaders and disruptors in the music industry to help grow Stem’s brand presence.
This role is a full-time and fully remote, with occasional in-person get-togethers in Los Angeles for which we cover travel / lodging for out-of-town employees.
Stem Disintermedia is led by a driven & collaborative team from diverse backgrounds, including senior professionals from UTA, PeerStreet, Hired, Apple Music, and FlashFunders. Our highly-strategic group of investors and senior advisors include former COO of Venmo Michael Vaughan, Acorns board member and former Wealthfront CEO Adam Nash, Carta CEO Henry Ward, Quality Control Music (Cardi B, Migos and Lil Yachty) co-founder and COO Kevin "Coach K" Lee, Three Six Zero CEO Mark Gillespie, two-time NBC All-Star Baron Davis and WndrCo. Our employees include musicians, parents, activists, artists, and more - what unites us are our shared values, commitment to exceptional communication, and belief in Stem’s mission.
Don't match every skill listed? Almost nobody does! Think you're a good fit anyway? Please let us know.
What you’ll do:
- Sign new artists and labels to Stem by efficiently managing the courting process from initial contact to signing
- Develop, maintain and tap a target list of artists as well as a target list of entry points (managers, lawyers, business managers etc.) across the market to access artists outside your network
- Inspire and educate Stem prospects on the value of our offering versus competitive offerings, while targeting established independent artists and labels
- Grow Stem’s brand presence by representing our mission and values through attending shows, festivals and conferences as well as hosting events to both unite and expand your existing network
- Meet and exceed an aggressive annual revenue target by working with the underwriting team to pitch and close Stem Scale advances
- Use Stem’s forecasting methodology to project revenue potential for artist and label signings
- Consistently meet and exceed aggressive individual and department-level objectives
- Track all prospecting data in Salesforce to ensure efficiency throughout the sales cycle
- Work with Stem’s product and marketing teams to share frequent feedback from the market and advocate for those product enhancements
Our Ideal Candidate has:
- 7+ years in artist-facing role within the music space with at least 5+ of those working toward well-defined business targets
- Is viewed as a subject matter expert in either distribution or A&R amongst the artist community
- Proven track record of advising artists on key decisions related to distribution
- Experience deploying advances to artists
- Proven track record of hitting or exceeding business targets by closing deals, inking partnerships etc.
- Exemplary presentation and communication ability (both verbal and written) across all levels of an organization
- Strong networking and relationship-building ability
- High attention to detail, with a process- and solution-oriented mindset
- High level of personal accountability and ability to provide frequent meaningful status reports to Stem’s executive team
- Deep and demonstrated knowledge of all facets of the music industry
- Keen understanding of artist/creative mindsets
- Prior experience at a DSP, distributor or label
- Competitive compensation package including equity for all full-time employees. We maintain salary brackets for all career tracks to ensure equitable salaries across the company.
- 100% premiums covered for employee medical, dental, and vision (60% for dependents)
- Company 401(k) match up to 4%
- Unlimited paid time off
- Life insurance
- Student loan paydown program
- Excellent parental leave policies
**Stem is an equal opportunity employer, and more than that, actively strives to build and nurture a diverse, inclusive, and equitable team. We celebrate differences and screen for shared values rather than culture fit. We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.**
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Not Applicable
Experience Level : Director, Executive / C-Suite
Job Function : Artist Relations