Secretly Group is a successful group of 4 record labels and a music publisher founded in 1996. The company represents artists, writers, film makers, producers, and comedians. Secretly operates globally and has garnered over 10 gold and platinum records and multiple Grammy, Mercury Prize, and Brit Award nominations.
The Secretly-affiliated music companies include Secretly Group (including music labels Dead Oceans, Jagjaguwar, Saddest Factory and Secretly Canadian, and leading independent music publisher Secretly Publishing), The Numero Group, Ghostly International, 37d03d, and global music distributor Secretly Distribution. The companies partner with hundreds of leading artists and songwriters including Phoebe Bridgers, Bon Iver, The War On Drugs, Mary Lattimore, Syl Johnson, Tycho, Japanese Breakfast, Moses Sumney, Pastor TL Barrett, Mitski and Angel Olsen, to name just a few, as well as hundreds of distributed music labels such as Captured Tracks, Sacred Bones, Rhymesayers International, Asthmatic Kitty and Touch & Go.
Secretly’s main offices are located in New York City, London, Bloomington (Indiana), Los Angeles and Chicago.
The Company is seeking an accomplished human resources (HR) leader with experience across recruiting, diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI), training & development, HR compliance, policy drafting and employee relations. Ideally the person will have experience in growing international organizations with an ability to effectively meet the HR needs of approximately 150 global employees, most of whom are based in the US and UK, across a range of departments including executive, operations, technology, creative, marketing, digital, logistics and warehouse. This hire will be an approachable advisor, who is confident and strategic in seat-at-the-table collaboration with the partners and management. They will also be an organized, hands-on, self-directed professional. The successful candidate will report to the CFO and to the partners, and preferably be based in either New York, NY, Bloomington, IN or Chicago, IL.
Leadership and Strategy
- Bring thought leadership to the people & inclusion function, drawing on both proven best practices and creatively finding solutions that fit Secretly’s unique environment.
- With the partners and the CFO, set, develop, monitor and implement the overall direction for HR and DEI practices and programs that impact productivity, scalability, and culture.
- Provide a framework for the partners and management team to clarify and communicate company wide values, mission and vision.
- Develop, track and report goals and metrics for each core facet of the people & inclusion function, aligning with the overall strategy of the company.
- Facilitate monthly management meetings including curating agenda and providing minutes to management and the partners.
- Lead one full time Human Resources Administrator, and oversee the various outside providers of HR, DEI, recruiting, benefits and other services.
- Make business case for additional resources as business conditions dictate.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Create and lead programs and initiatives to constantly evolve and execute Secretly’s DEI strategy.
- Develop strategies for improving DEI across the employee lifecycle by tracking metrics and KPIs for DEI in hiring, pay, employee development, promotion and retention.
- Develop learning programs for all staff around DEI practices, and infuse DEI principles into all talent development programs.
- Empower the creation of committees, employee resource groups, or advisory groups that weave DEI practices into all aspects of the company.
- Engage colleagues representative of the current and aspirational diversity of the organization, and direct initiatives that ensure a safe, welcoming and empowering environment for all.
- Institutionalize best practices that make DEI part of every employee’s job, and drive accountability at all levels for DEI success.
- Ensure equitable opportunities exist for all employees to learn, contribute, be recognized and advance.
- Consider, prioritize and develop select programs for employee development such as structured mentoring programs, lunch and learn series, etc.
- Facilitate personally or with outside specialists, all staff training on anti-harassment, DEI, management skills and other topics.
- Advocate for employees, support professional development, training, coaching and other services.
- Consult with the partners and management on effective organization and team structures, drafting of position descriptions, goal setting and mentoring.
- Provide structure for effective biannual employee performance reviews including providing tools for managers, participating in the reviews and maintaining records of reviews.
- Manage internal promotions and transfers based on objective, consistent, measurable criteria.
- Manage full hiring lifecycle for entry-level to executive-level positions.
- Monitor and continuously improve the candidate experience.
- Delegate administrative recruitment functions including HR admin, job posting, scheduling, etc.
- Develop and execute best practices for hiring.
- Support hiring managers with screening resumes, pre-screens, and interviewing candidates.
- Draft interview scripts with/for hiring managers.
- Continuously improve the internship program to ensure diverse representation and empowerment.
- Negotiate job offers, and facilitate new hire onboarding.
- Planning and managing company events such as holiday parties.
- Crafting and conducting periodic employee climate surveys, and analyzing the results to inform other HR and DEI initiatives.
- Develop programs where employees can be recognized by management and peers for exemplifying company values.
- Ensure effective company-wide employee communications through intranet, newsletter, fireside chats or other channels.
- Create environment that encourages input from employees, listens to the input and puts it to good use.
Employee Relations & Compliance
- Monitor and ensure the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Recommend best practices; review and modify policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Educate both senior leadership and wider staff on compliance requirements.
- Maintain employee records including disciplinary, investigatory, and employee reviews.
- Annually update both UK & US company handbook.
- Guide managers on managing performance, and provide counsel and structure for any escalated issues.
- Handle progressive discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Serve as an approachable confidant for all employees for any concerns or suggestions that may come up.
- Ensure that colleagues at all levels understand their obligations in supporting a safe and healthy work environment and reporting any concerns to HR, leadership or the partners
- If needed, conduct investigations swiftly, discretely and thoroughly, with proper documentation and resolution.
- Liaise with external HR resources, the internal General Counsel and external employment counsel as appropriate.
- Manage employee onboarding and offboarding.
- Communicate wage changes, employment status and other updates to the payroll team.
- Manage various facilities management and related vendors (cleaning service, pest control, snow removal, lawn mowing services).
- Plan, direct and supervise all activities relating to the administration and maintenance of employee benefits programs.
- Schedule educational benefit seminars for staff.
- Liaise with insurance brokers and 401(k) representative.
- Handle and file all benefit paperwork.
- Point person for all benefit inquiries from staff.
- Manage Volunteer Hours Matching program.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Leadership experience in human resources responsible for a range of matters including recruiting, diversity, equity & inclusion, training & development, employee engagement, compliance and employee relations.
- Direct hands-on experience recruiting at all levels.
- Knowledge of advancing DEI best practices, with specific experience designing and delivering DEI initiatives.
- Excellent writer across policy drafting, employee communications, position descriptions, training content and other applications.
- Strong listening, negotiating, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to successfully interface with leaders and staff at all levels and across all departments.
- Decision making skills that are based on ethics and integrity.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Sound and practical business judgment, and appropriate handling confidential information.
- Hands-on leader and practitioner with attention to detail and the ability to manage a high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly.
- Ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities, most of which operate on a time sensitive basis.
- Natural facilitator with a high degree of empathy and open mindedness, who can help others deescalate and reach consensus.
- Experience in HR in a creative field.
- At least 5 years relevant HR generalist experience.
- At least 2 years of HR leadership experience.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with multi-site/multi-entity structures
- Experience with union populations and collective bargaining.
- Working understanding of today’s music ecosystem and independent music companies.
Compensation & Benefits
A competitive salary, incentive and benefits package (health, vision, dental, life, 401K, paid vacation, paid holidays) will be offered, commensurate with the role and the relevant experience of the final hire.
To apply to this position, please visit https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2675122881/?refId=m8hMTTvQ26JmVMNW5HOHng%3D%3D and submit your resume and profile.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law. Further, the company strives to create a diverse, welcoming, equitable and inclusive environment for all applicants, employees, customers and suppliers.
The job description above is intended to set forth the general nature of the work that will be expected of the person who takes on this role. The job description is not, however, meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities required for this role. From time to time, all colleagues may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities as needed, and the priorities within each role evolve over time based on the needs of the business.